Happy Earth Day!
- by crv.staff
- 10:55 AM UTC
In honor of Earth Day, why not plan a green vacation that would make a polar bear proud?
In celebration of this eco-conscious holiday, we at Costa Rica Views have rounded up a few ideas on how to spruce up your green travel. Once you get to your destination, there are plenty of ways to think twice about what you’re doing, and make sure that your actions benefit the environment.
The New York Daily News has put together a list of green travel ideas for vacationers. No matter where you go, you can add a little more green to your travel, and here are ways you can:
- Take green tours. Staying local, traveling in small groups, and gently using your surroundings will help tread lightly on the earth’s surface.
- Choose your destination wisely, and participate in an ecotourism project while on vacation. Lending a hand goes a long way.
- Kick off your green travel once you land by renting a hybrid or electric car.
- Eat locally. Staying close to the area and choosing restaurants that grow and source their own products reduce fuel, packaging, and shipping materials, and sustains the local economy.
- Pick an eco-friendly hotel that will guarantee the greenest sleep you can get. Most hotel chains have implemented recycling programs, water conservation, and organic practices to boost environmental support. Here are some small hotels in Costa Rica that have earned the certificate for sustainable tourism:
HOTEL GRANO DE ORO- Tel: 2255-3322 An oasis in the heart of San José, combines the charm of a beautiful mansion with all the comforts and amenities of a luxury hotel.
HOTEL VILLA CALETAS-CENTRAL PACIFIC- Tel: (506) 2637-3000 Located spectacularly high a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean and surrounded by rainforest, with the most unforgettable sunsets in Costa Rica.
HOTEL FLORBLANCA-SANTA TERESA-Tel: (506) 2640-0232 firstname.lastname@example.org Located on 7 acres of white sand beach, a seductive romantic haven designed for people who want the comforts of fine resort.
HOTEL PEACE LODGE-VARA BLANCA Tel: (506) 2225-0643 – Butterflies, hummingbirds and waterfalls await for you. Located on the grounds of the famous La Paz Waterfall Gardens, the Peace Lodge has created the ultimate upscale rain forest experience.
HOTEL ARENAS DEL MAR BEACH & NATURE RESORT Tel: (506) 2777 2777 – Unique and spectacular beach and nature experiences combined with highest levels of comfort and sustainability in a local Costa Rican setting.
HOTEL CUNA DEL ANGEL – South Pacific – Tel: (506) 2787-8012 – Located in Costa Ballena, the getaway to the South Pacific, is the result of a careful planning with an exclusive and cozy atmosphere in the middle of the jungle forest. Monkeys, toucans, sloths, whales, dolphins, and a wide variety of birds are waiting for you. Let your soul float away!
VISTA DEL VALLE PLANTATION INN – Rosario de Naranjo, Costa Rica – Tel: (506) 2451 1165 – Guests may explore acres of tropical botanical gardens, observe exotic birds, butterflies, enjoy the private waterfall, or walk through the town of El Rosario.
XANDARI RESORT AND SPA – Toll free: 1 866 363 3212 - Has two unique resorts in Costa Rica with beautiful villas that are individually designed and a spa that is set in a tropical garden and includes 5 private palm–roofed jalapas with jacuzzis and a picturesque view of the Central Valley.
Green travel is easier than you think, and these small ways can help to green any vacation.
Like this article? Get more articles like this - Subscribe Now